Greetings!


Greetings, and welcome to VIEWING THE CLASSICS. Here you'll find capsule reviews of vintage movies from the early days of cinema through the 1970s, with a special emphasis on sci-fi, horror, and mystery movies. Be sure to check out the Pages links, where you can find a Film Index of all my reviews, links to the reviews organized by cast members, directors, and other contributors, and links to my reviews of the films of talented young director Joshua Kennedy.

Thanks for visiting!


Sunday, May 27, 2018

Tomb Of Torture (1963)

Starring Annie Alberti, Adriano Micantoni, Marco Mariani, Flora Carosello, Antonio Boccaci
Directed by Antonio Boccaci
(actor & director credits courtesy IMDB.com)

After two young girls are murdered in a legendary castle, a reporter travels to the area to investigate and meets a young woman who exactly resembles a countess killed in the castle years ago. 

This Italian horror film is presented in a sepia tone throughout, which makes it stand out among other efforts in the genre and gives it a vintage feel which I enjoyed.  However, the majority of the film is very darkly lit, which wasn't to my taste, and made it difficult to see most of the environs of the castle.  I did like the cast, thinking Alberti was perfect in her role, and enjoyed Mariani as the reporter who after a humorous debut, very quickly becomes her lover.  Carosello was fun to watch as the current countess Elizabeth, who shifts between a kindly persona and a cruel crazed one throughout the picture.  I wonder if the dubbed print I saw was cut at all, because there are a number of plot points in the film that seem never explained or resolved. I did have a strong objection to the young girls' fate early in the film, but fortunately the film cuts away, rather than explicitly showing them being tortured.

2 comments:

  1. I copied and pasted it into Text2Speech. I know you don't sound that robotic, but it was a fun bit of audio, well written.

    ReplyDelete