Greetings!


Greetings, and welcome to VIEWING THE CLASSICS. Here you'll find capsule reviews of vintage movies from the early days of cinema through the 1970s, with a special emphasis on sci-fi, horror, and mystery movies. Be sure to check out the Pages links, where you can find a Film Index of all my reviews, links to the reviews organized by cast members, directors, and other contributors, and links to my reviews of the films of talented young director Joshua Kennedy.

Thanks for visiting!


Wednesday, June 6, 2018

I Bury The Living (1958)

Starring Richard Boone, Theodore Bikel, Peggy Maurer, Howard Smith, Herbert Anderson
Directed by Albert Band
(actor & director credits courtesy IMDB.com)

A department store executive is charged with overseeing the town's cemetery, and becomes shocked to discover black pins he inserts into the cemetery's map seem to make people die. 

This is a compelling film assembled on a modest budget, and benefits from Louis Garfinkle's fascinating screenplay, Gerald Fried's dark music score, and memorable visual imagery from Edward Vorkapich.   There's no big stars other than Richard Boone, who had just started starring in TV's Have Gun Will Travel, and he's more than believable as the man who comes to believe a supernatural power within himself is causing the deaths, despite all those trying to convince him otherwise.  The first time I saw this film I was kept guessing until near the climax, and even knowing how it turns out now, subsequent viewings have revealed how well the picture is assembled and directed, and it stands up today for those reasons.  

2 comments:

  1. I saw this movie at the drive in when I was a kid and it gave me the chills back then (I was about 11), and I agree with you wholeheartedly--it holds up wonderfully. Boone generally put in an excellent performance in any role he was given (do you remember him in Wayne's last movie, THE SHOOTIST?), and this '50s not-quite-a-horror flick was no exception. A couple interesting uncredited actors make this extra "fun" for me--I love ancient Cyril Delavanti (he's Nonno in NIGHT OF THE IGUANA, he was a Chinese character in the Buster Crabbe serial "Red Barry", he was one of the bank boardmembers in MARY POPPINS--and scores of other minor characters. You'd know him instantly by sight, if not by name. The other interesting performer in this is Matt Moore (also uncredited), who was the leading romantic interest in the 1925 Chaney film, THE UNHOLY THREE! Now you've made me want to re-watch I BURY THE LIVING. I may dig it out of the shelves before this weekend is over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Robert, I never guessed there were such veteran actors in the cast- thanks for sharing your memories. It must have been so creepy to see when you were 11..

    ReplyDelete